Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Software Archaeology and Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

DaveF

Subject: LeJog - towards winter
Posted: 23 Apr 2017 6:01 pm

Hello LeJogers.

I have been dreaming about LeJog for years and am finally in a position to do so, hopefully this year.

I had originally planned to set off from LE north mid May, thinking I'd get good weather and mostly avoid the busiest holiday periods. With that deadline forthcoming I have started having second thoughts. I get bad hay fever; I can see myself walking for hours in the heat; there's the mozzies up north; and I worry slightly about accommodation during the busier periods. And a few work things have come up that have made me think I might be better to delay.

If I were to do so the earliest I could set off would be September - which would mean arriving at JOG around the start of December.

Obviously I'd risk poorer weather, though I have no fear of rain (I live in the Lakes!) and I prefer striking out in colder weather. The mozzies would be gone and the trails would be quieter. And most of all I'd get to see autumn unfold as I walked. BUT I worry I'd be limiting walking hours seriously by the end of the walk.

Have any visitors who made the trip any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Dave

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: JOGLE?
Posted: 26 Apr 2017 4:51 pm

Hi Dave.

Hay fever, midges, heat - yeah, that's summer in Britain... if you get a good one. It could rain all summer, which would dampen all of it, but it's hard to say!

If you want to set off in September, have you considered doing John o'Groats to Land's End? Then you'll avoid the worst of the weather in wintry Scotland, you'll get longer days as you get towards the end than you would with LEJOG, and it's probably safer to be trudging through the Cornish countryside than the Scottish highlands come November/December. It's a thought, anyway.

I had a really sunny walk during the summer and enjoyed it, but yeah, I don't like super-hot walking weather too much either, so I sympathise. And as for the midges... don't get me started. 😉

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Dave

Subject: Thanks
Posted: 1 May 2017 6:39 am

Many thanks for your reply Mark. You're bang on about the weather, of course. That's mostly luck of the draw whenever one sets off I guess. And you're totally right about the benefits of JOGLEing at that time of the year. For some reason it feels far more 'right' to journey south to north for me, but I think I am going to try to shift my start date to the start of September instead to preserve daylight hours towards the end of the walk. Again, thanks for your input.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: LEJOG vs JOGLE
Posted: 5 May 2017 3:28 pm

Hi Dave.

Yeah, I know - I always think of it as Land's End to John o'Groats, but quite a few people do it the other way round, normally for a good reason (they live in Scotland, they're hiking at different times of the year to the normal summer route, or they're doing it for a second time so choosing a different direction).

It's still the End-to-End challenge walk, though!

Mark

Post a Reply

Dave Felton

Subject: On my way...
Posted: 17 May 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Mark

I have now embarked upon my LeJog, three days in on the SW Coast Path.

My blog is here: https://www.daveslejog.co.uk and I'd be delighted if you could add it to your Links page.

Thanks for all your advice on this site.

Dave

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Dave's LEJOG
Posted: 19 May 2017 3:41 pm

Hi Dave.

Great! I've added you to my links page:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/links.html

and I've subscribed to your blog. I'm really looking forward to following your progress - good luck and have fun out there!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Dave F

Subject: Thanks
Posted: 19 May 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks Mark. I'm having a ball so far (tidal estuaries excluded 😉 ).

Onwards and upwards...

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Blog
Posted: 22 May 2017 12:26 pm

And I'm having a ball with your blog, Dave. Great photos, too!

Looking forward to following you all the way...

Mark

Post a Reply