Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Software Archaeology and Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Miker

Subject: cool site
Posted: 22 May 2020 2:40 pm

The watery beer story at Playa Giron, Cuba, and the hiking around Australia and camping trip are cool.Do you really bring a sleeping bag, as mentioned in your travel tips page? Where else, other than in the Australia trip have you used a sleeping bag? Isn't it too cold at night almost everywhere? I think 12 degrees C, anything colder, I would keep waking up from being cold. I discovered this sleeping in July in the Pyrenees, in southern France. Do you use Powershell for any automation? Thanks.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Sleeping bags and Powershell
Posted: 26 May 2020 1:59 pm

Hi Miker.

I did take a sleeping bag with me around Australia and New Zealand, but I was camping for most of those trips, so that makes sense. I still took one round places like Southeast Asia and West Africa, not so much for the warmth (though it can get surprisingly cold in the desert), but also so I could unzip it and throw it over the more unsavoury beds I'd come across. I took a cheap bag that unzipped into a rectangular throw, rather than the more sophisticated tubular ones that walkers these days tend to use, and that made it much more useful.

If it got too cold for my sleeping bag, then I'd stuff it full of clothes, as that really adds to the warmth factor... though that only really happened when trekking in places like the Himalayas, where it got so cold I could hardly sleep - see the 'Over the top' section here:

https://www.moxon.net/nepal/annapurna_circuit_stage_1.html

But this kind of thing was pretty rare, as I spent most of my time in hot places at hot times of the year, where sleeping under any kind of cover was too much.

I don't use Powershell, no. I tend to automate using cron and bash, but that's only because that's what I've always used, and I tend to use Macs or Unix boxes, where this makes more sense. I should look at Powershell one day, as I hear good things about it.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply