Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Software Archaeology and Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Sam Walker

Subject: Why LEJOG?
Posted: 10 Apr 2017 12:48 pm

Hi Mark/guests - there's a lot of discussion on how to walk LEJOG but not so much about why. I'd be interested to know why you and others have walked or intend to walk the end-to-end. What is its particular appeal? What drew you to it?

I'm planning on walking LEJOG myself in 2018 but I've found it quite difficult to say exactly why, although I am interested to see how it shapes me and what's left of me by the end.

I'd love to know your thoughts. If this interests you, you're welcome to visit my blog:

lejog2018.blogspot.co.uk

Planned start date: Friday 30th March 2018.
Planned end date: good question.

Thanks and good luck to all who are walking LEJOG in 2017.

Sam.

Post a Reply

Mike

Subject: Why?
Posted: 10 Apr 2017 8:26 pm

Hi Sam,

that's a difficult question to answer.

When I first came across the acronym LEJOG and its meaning I was fascinated by the idea of walking the whole length of a country. I had done some long-distance paths before but never anything of this length (and not even considered it, to be honest).

As I also said in my blog, initially I thought about something similar in Germany (being German and living here that was quite natural, I think ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). But I decided against it for a variety of reasons-including route considerations. Then, there's no real tradition for walking the length of Germany which made it less attractive. Not to speak of the necessity to deal with at least six different types of maps as surveying in Germany is in the responsibility of the Lรƒยคnder-nothing to compare with OS.

These are reasons why I settled to do it in the UK but it probably still doesn't explain why I do it at all. I've thought about it a lot myself, and I think the important aspect for me is the physical and mental challenge accompanying the task. I want to prove to myself that I'm able to do this. And I like the idea of restricting my life for a limited time to the essentials: having shelter in bad weather, keeping myself warm and fed. I believe that this will correct or readjust (or whatever you want to name it) some perspectives on everyday life which have shifted in an "unhealthy" way by demands of work and the like.

Mike

Post a Reply

James

Subject: Reason for LEJOG
Posted: 12 Apr 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Sam, look forward to reading about your trip next year. I'm due to start my own trip in little more then a week.
I have several reasons for doing this trip but it's primarily about challenging myself. I've done my job for more then 20 years and rarely feel challenged. I like walking and want to test myself both physically and mentally. I also want to make some memories, positive or negative and I hope to do this during my LEJOG.

Jimmy

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Why walk?
Posted: 18 Apr 2017 10:38 am

Good question, Sam!

For me, it was fairly simple. I was travelling in West Africa, on the first leg of what was supposed to be a year-long trip across the whole of Africa, but to be honest, I just wasn't enjoying myself. I missed my girlfriend (now my wife), and I missed home, but I didn't particularly want to go home and get a job, as I'd already saved up for a year's travelling, and I'd only used up three months.

So, sitting on a beach in Ghana, I wondered whether instead I could go travelling in the UK... which led to me thinking about walking in the UK... which led me to thinking about LEJOG. And once I'd thought about it, the more I realised that it would be a perfect combination of travelling, walking and being able to see my girlfriend.

It was exactly that - one of the best things I've ever done, and so much more enjoyable than Africa (for me, anyway).

Happy days! ๐Ÿ˜€

Mark

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Web link
Posted: 18 Apr 2017 10:41 am

Oh, and I've added a link to your blog to my links page, here:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/links.html

Looking forward to following your progress - enjoy the planning!

Mark

Post a Reply

Sam Walker

Subject: change of plan
Posted: 19 Apr 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks Mike, Jimmy and Mark for getting back to me. Mike, I've subscribed to your blog and hope you find the time/energy to update that as you go.

An unexpected opportunity occurred at work which meas I can walk LEJOG this summer; I'll now be starting on Saturday 29th July 2017 instead of March 30th 2018. Which gives me 3 months to prep instead of 12. Gulp. August isn't the best time of year to walk 1,000 miles but windows of opportunity don't occur often.

Mark, I read your book a couple of months ago and I liked your realistic trail reports written up every evening. I'll leave a review on Amazon when I have time.

I've had to change my blog to:

2017lejog.blogspot.com

As Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: LEJOG 2017
Posted: 20 Apr 2017 8:22 am

Hi Sam.

Great news! I've updated the link from my site, and I've subscribed to your new blog. Looking forward to following your progress... ๐Ÿ˜€

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply