Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Software Archaeology and Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Mark Moxon

Subject: LE-JON
Posted: 19 Jan 2015 1:58 pm

Hi jamesjones.

Good luck with your own walk! Hopefully Jon will come back and spot your message...

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

jon

Subject: 2015 lejog walk
Posted: 29 Jan 2015 8:10 pm

Hi Mark and all.
Thanks for replies and comments,I have just returned from Christmas in Australia,so am now catching up.
I am starting my walk in early April,after Easter, (subject to weather) so I may meet any other starters on the way if our routes coincide.
Must get a blog started to keep updated.

On the subject of walking partners,I have found this to be a double edged sword.
Whilst it is nice to have company,over many walking holidays, I have found it difficult to find a compatible companion due to different walking pace and requirements for rest days etc.So I usually prefer to walk alone.

All the best,Jon.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Solo walking
Posted: 2 Mar 2015 1:45 pm

I also prefer to walk alone, but that's probably because I'm a grumpy bugger! 😀

Good luck with all the planning, Jon. Hope it goes well!

Mark

Post a Reply

jon

Subject: lejog 2015
Posted: 8 Jun 2015 7:54 am

Hi Mark
Finally completed my walk,now back home.
Started 22 March,finished 30 May.
The walk went really well and the weather was incredible(until I reached Scotland).
I didn`t have too many problems physically,(had more aches and pains since returning home)but I found walking miles every day alone a real mental challenge,the will to carry on nearly deserting me many times,especially towards the end.
Stupidly considering trying the walk again sometime the other way,if I`m still able but I will seriously consider not doing it alone next time.
When I have caught up with all the jobs piled up at home,I will have to get round to writing up my notes(if I can decifer them!)
All the best, Jon.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Congratulations!
Posted: 11 Jun 2015 4:29 pm

Hi Jon.

Congratulations! I'm glad you were lucky with the weather, as that makes all the difference... and it always seems to rain in Scotland, so at least that was authentic. 😀

You're right about the mental challenge being the difficult thing; three months of almost daily plodding will take its toll on anyone. Though the fact that you're thinking of doing it the other way round shows that perhaps you've conquered that bit of it. For me, once was definitely enough, no doubt about it...

If you do manage to put your notes online, let me know and I'll add a link to you. In the meantime, well done and congratulations on joining the club. Respect is due!

All the best,

Mark

Post a Reply

Jon

Subject: Another walk
Posted: 20 May 2023 8:33 pm

Hi Mark, Hope you are keeping well.
In September,if I am still around,I am hoping to do the return journey JOGLE to mark my 80th birthday next year!! This time I will not be doing it alone.Following an enjoyable trip last month walking the Wales Coast Path,my eldest grandson has agreed to accompany me,at least as far as his home in the North of England and then my son for a couple of weeks.So hope it goes ahead!
My wife and I had planned to leave these shores in early 2020 to live by one of our children in Australia but unfortunately Covid and the subsequent lockdown scuppered our plans.It looks like we will now end our days here in Scotland!
Regards Jon.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: LEJOG for your 80th
Posted: 23 May 2023 10:53 am

Hi Jon.

Wow! That is really something; I hope it all goes well. I can't imagine doing LEJOG again - I found it hard enough to do when I was in my thirties! - but doing it for your 80th birthday is superhuman. Amazing.

Seriously, good luck with all the planning and training. I wish you all the very best for your walk. It's really inspiring stuff!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Jon

Subject: Another walk
Posted: 8 Oct 2023 6:28 pm

Hi Mark ,hope you are well.
Started our walk in late August,had an enjoyable walk in mixed but(mainly)reasonable weather.
Unfortunately,having reached the south Lake District,we had to abandon our journey due to sudden family illness.
Thankfully we were still within a reasonable distance to return home.
Under the present circumstances,it is unlikely the walk will ever resume.
Content that we made about half way.
Regards Jon.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: LE to LD
Posted: 16 Oct 2023 3:06 pm

Hi Jon.

I'm so sorry to hear that, but congratulations on getting to the Lake District - that's still an amazing walk and a proper achievement, even if it isn't quite the full route. And the walk didn't beat you - so well done!

Big respect is due.

All the best,

Mark

Post a Reply