Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Software Archaeology and Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Rollen Fowler

Subject: Georgetown
Posted: 26 Dec 2004 9:17 pm

Hello Mark,

I just wanted to write and say how much I enjoyed your article about Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia. Kudos to you on a job well done! Your testimony back a lot of good memories for me.

I grew up overseas, spending the majority of my childhood (i.e., 18mo to 20yrs old) in Hong Kong, but did spend about six years in Penang attending the Dalat Boarding School. So-called "Dalat" because the school originated in the highlands of Dalat, Vietnam. My family on the paternal side started their overseas experience in the 1880's, living in places like west China, Vietnam (Saigon), and Hong Kong. My aunt was a nurse in Jayapura/Sentani, Irian Jaya, Indonesia.

I've lived the next twenty years of my life in the U.S., mainly in the Pacific Northwest area of Washington and Oregon (where I am now). Truthfully, it hasn't been as pleasant as my time spent overseas as a "third-culture kid." I just experienced a very painful divorce (are there any other types?) and lost everything despite the circumstances/facts that brought it about and so am filing bankruptcy, too. Because of this, my heart-strings are tugging me back overseas to places like Thailand and Malaysia. I don't know that I can quit my job right now (as much as I'd love to do so...I'm an educational psychologist by practice), but I want to travel about like you have done. Sounds like you're quite the professional, too!

I haven't taken a look through all of your site (and will do so), but if you would be so kind to reply, do you know of any complementary travel/resource sites that would help me along on my way back "home"? I'm thinking perhaps of sites listing nice and cheap places to stay, places to definately avoid, sites to find good deals on flight and/or rail tickets, etc? Although I am researching the web myself, another person's point of view or wealth of knowledge would certainly speed the process up. I'll take a sip of serendipty any time and place I can! 😂

Sounds like your trip through Malaysia was enjoyable. My favorite place to go was P. Pangkor; oh, and Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands. Some of my friends relaxed on P. Langkawi north of Penang (and not far from Phuket, Thailand).

Happy journeys to you, Mark.

Rollen
Eugene/Springfield, Oregon, USA

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Penang
Posted: 29 Dec 2004 4:26 pm

Hi Rollen.

Glad you've enjoyed the site - thanks for the kind comments. I have very happy memories of Penang; it must have been a great place to go to school.

I'm not sure I know that many good online resources for Malaysian info, mainly because when I travelled there, the Web was still in its relative infancy, and I've had no reason to go searching for information on the area since. I tend to find guidebooks the best starting point for information on hotels, restaurants etc., backed up by recommendations from travellers themselves. Have you tried getting hold of a Footprint guide or a Lonely Planet for Malaysia? They'll contains pretty much everything you need to get started.

Sorry this isn't a reply full of specific recommendations, but it's seven years since I was in Malaysia, and my memory for specifics is a bit hazy! I hope you have a great time - it's a great part of the world.

Happy travels and best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Vincent Kok

Subject: malaysia portal
Posted: 19 Jan 2005 2:26 pm

Mark, I love the articles that you wrote of your time in Malaysia and was wondering how I could syndicate your works in a Malaysian travel site

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Syndication
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 6:55 pm

Hi Vincent.

I'm happy to talk about syndication, though I should warn you that I normally only let a small number of articles or images be used on other sites, as otherwise I'll end up losing too much traffic. However, if you'd like to tell me what you had in mind, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

I tend to apply the following rules to use of my content; people can use a small number of images or articles on their sites as long as:

1. Their site is non-commercial.

2. They credit me as the copyright owner for the images, either in a caption to the image, in the image itself (as on my site), or somewhere else on the page. The attribution should be something along the lines of 'Photograph copyright (c) Mark Moxon'.

3. They put a link to www.moxon.net somewhere on their site. Ideally this would be on the same page as the images, but if they've got a site credits page, a copyright page or a links page, then that's fine.

If all of the above apply, then permission is not a problem for small amounts of content. If not, then I'm open for discussion.

If you'd like to talk about it, post your email address here and I'll drop you a line (and I'll also scrub your addess from my Guestbook so you don't get spammed).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

Vincent Kok

Subject: my contact
Posted: 25 Jan 2005 2:11 am

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am only interested in having some of the Malaysian stories posted up. I can be contacted at vincent@cat.com.my

Looking forward to hear from you.

Vincent

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: My content on your site
Posted: 26 Jan 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Vincent.

Here's the text of an email I've just sent you:

You may be interested to know that I've put up a series of guidelines, which will enable you to publish three articles of mine on your website for no cost. Details of this scheme, which I've only just launched, can be found here:

www.moxon.net/about_site/using_my_content.html

In your case, you can ignore the part about being non-commercial; I'll grant you permission to publish anyway. Hopefully this will fill your initial needs, but if there are any problems with the conditions of the scheme, or if you really want to use more than three articles, just ask.

I hope this helps - I look forward to seeing the results!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply