Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Software Archaeology and Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

richard brown

Subject: climbing uluru
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 8:28 am

what a pity you decided to climb uluru and disrespect the anangu people's sacred site. perhaps you're quite happy travelling the world and disrespecting people's religion, culture and requests.

i think the desire to climb something just because it's there is understandable (to a point) but climbing uluru in blatent disregard for it's custodians is really quite pathetic.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Climbing Uluru
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 2:16 pm

Hi Richard.

I can fully understand your annoyance at people climbing Uluru; it is, after all, against the wishes of the Anangu, and there's no getting away from that.

However, in my defence, I should point out that I climbed Uluru way back in 1996, some eight-and-a-half years ago, and back then the atmosphere was less prohibitive as it is today. Back then you could take photographs of most of Uluru, with only a few sacred sites restricted; nowadays you can hardly take any photographs at all. The same goes for the wishes of the Anangu against climbing; back then it was more of a guideline not to climb, whereas now it's much more in your face. Back then the wish of the local tribe not to have people climb the rock was expressed, but not terribly forcibly, and although afterwards I felt a modicum of guilt, I didn't feel as if I'd done anything wrong.

So I can see your point, but I think calling me 'pathetic' is pushing things slightly. Things are maybe different now, but back in 1996 climbing Uluru wasn't quite the heinous sin you make it out to be... and nor was I the religiously disrespectful person you're talking about.

Thanks for posting, though, your comments are much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply